Manager Total Return
|=||Passive Benchmark Return||+||Active Manager Skill|
|0.0||Correlation with Manager|
This site was built by Magnitude Capital, a New York-based alternative investment manager.
Magnitude invests in hedge funds with the goal of capturing skill-based returns that are largely independent of moves in broad asset classes like equities or credit. Consequently, we spend a lot of time thinking about how to separate active skill (alpha) from market exposure (beta) when taking the measure of a manager’s track record. We have observed over the years that not everyone evaluates performance this way. We built this tool so that, should they wish, investors can look at their portfolios in a manner similar to the way we examine our own.
A few words of caution. In creating this site, we’ve prioritized simplicity and ease of use. While we believe that evaluating manager skill relative to a beta-matched benchmark is useful, the approach to doing so adopted by this tool is quite basic. Second, this tool is entirely backward-looking, and while we believe in the value of assessing historical performance (including historical active manager skill), past performance and skill cannot be relied upon as predictive of future performance or skill. Successful hedge fund investing requires many more resources and tools than we provide here. Measuring outcomes with sensible benchmarks is important, but it’s only a starting point.
We hope you find this helpful and would love to hear your feedback at email@example.com.
1. No Investment Advice or Financial Services; No Offering of Securities. You acknowledge and agree that neither this Website, nor the content hereof (including without limitation, any information, text, data, performance charts, any information identifying or describing securities, financial instruments, asset managers or investment products, contained herein) (collectively, the “Content”) constitutes or shall be construed to constitute: (i) investment advice by Magnitude; (ii) the offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any securities, financial instruments, or financial products (including without limitation, any securities, instruments or products referenced herein; (iii) the opinion of Magnitude with regards to any securities, financial instruments or products, or financial markets; (iv) the recommendation to buy or sell securities, financial instruments, or financial products (including without limitation, any securities, instruments, or products referenced herein); or (v) tax, legal, or financial planning advice by Magnitude.
5. User-Provided Information. The Website may permit you to provide, post, upload, submit or otherwise make available information or other content (“User-Provided Information”). You make use of all such User-Provided Information at your own risk; Magnitude does not guarantee that such User-Provided Information will be secure or stored. All such User-Provided Information will not be retained by Magnitude, its affiliates, partners, members, officers, or employees (“Magnitude Parties”). Notwithstanding the foregoing, you agree that Magnitude will monitor and retain the internet protocol (IP) address of each user who visits this Website and may track the frequency, nature, and length of your use of the Website, and you agree that Magnitude may utilize such information for its internal business purposes. User-Provided Information is not included in the meaning of the term “Content” as used herein.
7. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT SHALL MAGNITUDE OR ANY OTHER MAGNITUDE PARTY BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THIS WEBSITE, THE CONTENT, AND/OR ANY USER-PROVIDED INFORMATION, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR UTILITY OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED AS PART OF OR THROUGH THIS WEBSITE, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE AND WHETHER OR NOT MAGNITUDE OR ANY MAGNITUDE PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO THE EXTENT NOT ENFORCEABLE UNDER LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
9. Prohibited Access in Certain Jurisdictions. This Website and the Content may not be accessed or used in any jurisdiction where such access or use would constitute a violation of applicable laws or regulations. It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to the full observance of laws of any relevant jurisdiction, including obtaining any government or other consent that may be required and observing any other formality which needs to be observed in that country.
10. Feedback. While we welcome your feedback, ideas, and suggestions, it is important to be aware of the following restrictions. If you send us feedback, ideas, or suggestions (whether solicited or unsolicited) (collectively, “ideas”), you agree that: (1) your ideas become the property of Magnitude and you are not owed any compensation in exchange; (2) none of the ideas contain confidential or proprietary information of any third party; (3) Magnitude may use or redistribute ideas for any purpose and in any way; (4) there is no obligation for Magnitude to review your ideas; and (5) Magnitude has no obligation to keep any ideas confidential.